Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 3 - My Parents


I am blessed to have two sets of wonderful parents! My own, biological parents, and my husbands parents. They are both wonderful, wonderful people.

My Parents

My mom and Dad, Scott & Beckie, have been married for 34 years now (i think). They both went to the same high school in Alaska, and my mom was smitten. My dad didn't really have too much of an interest at first.
My dad was baptized into the LDS church when he was 9, and when he was 19 decided to go on a mission. My mom was not a member of the church, and went to Oklahoma for college, and there got involved in a young ambassadors christian group. When She heard that Scott was coming home from an LDS mission, she decided to come home earlier than she was originally planning for summer. Her idea was to convince him of his wrong ways by being a mormon. Turns out that through those conversations my mom began an interest in the LDS church and was baptized by my dad 9 months later. A few months after that they were married. :) Their original plan was to wait the year the needed to, to go to the temple to be sealed, but for a few months during that year the Church came out with a new policy that members didn't have to wait a year from their marriage date, just their baptism date (I could be wrong on the details of that), so they were able to be sealed a few months after they were married. They have six kids, one boy & five girls, the two youngest, twins.
My parents are great people. The thing that has influenced my life the most is their testimony of the gospel. There is no question with either of them that living the gospel is the most important thing in their life. They have instilled that same belief in me. I will forever be grateful to them for their conversion and for their steadfastness in teaching and raising their family in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Their conversion will bless generations. They now have 9 grandchildren from three daughters. That number will definitely increase throughout the years!

Blake's Parents

Blake's parents, Doug & Leen, are also wonderful people. They were both raised in inactive families (in the Church) and both of them for some reason grabbed hold of the gospel and decided to live it even though the people around them were not. They have been great examples in our lives, and always have extended arms toward us. We have a lot of fun together, and they are great grandparents. They also had 6 kids, five boys, and one girl. They currently have 7 grandkids from the three oldest children. That number will definitely increase as well!

Blake and I are truly indebted to both our parents. They have both done so much for us in raising us, and in their continued support through out our lives. We have a great relationship with them, and love them deeply.

No comments: