Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 21- Another Moment

I don't really like these moment posts, because I have no clue what to "do" for my moment! I did however, have kind of an interesting moment today at work.
I teach a low intensity water aerobics class at 9am, and today only one little lady showed up. So we started talking our usual chatter, and she started telling me how her granddaughter has been pretty sick lately. Not sure how the conversation developed, but she was then telling me about the death of her mother, father, brother, sister, all in the course of three months. Actually her dad had died a few years earlier, but the mom and siblings all died within the course of three months. Of course that developed into more conversation about death and coping with death. She is LDS as well, and so of course we were talking about how nice it is to have the plan of salvation and to have hope and peace when our loved ones die.
Having this conversation in the middle of a public pool, with a virtual stranger, so to speak, made me really grateful for this time that I have to live in utah. It is so nice to be able to share my testimony and talk about my beliefs so openly, and have them reciprocated! I feel really grateful for the strength that has provided me.
I have always thought I didn't want to stay in Utah forever. I liked growing up outside of Utah and realizing that I was different, and that my knowledge of the gospel was a huge blessing, and that most people in the world do not believe the same things I do. Now that I have been here for almost 11 years, I wonder if we will ever have the opportunity to leave, or if we are supposed to raise our family here, either way I am fine. I really enjoy the blessings of living here.
It's funny actually, because I look at the girls I work with now and how badly some of them just want to be different than everyone else, so they rebel. When I was growing up I struggled because I was different from everyone else and I just wanted to be "normal" so I would rebel!
Not sure what the point really is to this "moment", except for the fact that I think it is really cool to talk about the gospel in a pool so publicly! I'm glad that I get to do it now, because I don't know where we will end up, and I know I will miss having something in common with most people I meet. the end. :)

No comments: