Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 25- A first

Well, the first that I would like to remember is my first race. It was last year on April 16th. I have already posted about it, but so you don't have to look it up I will remind you! :) Before last year, I never considered myself athletic. I'm not good at sports, I have sports induced asthma, I'm clumsy, etc. I always wanted to be, but I just was never consistent enough in anything to improve my skill.
With that being said, when Maylee was 2 months old I decided to become a water aerobics instructor. I alway had thought that would be fun to do and a good motivation to keep me in shape. So then I really started looking at weight loss and different ways to get into shape. My sister in law had asked me if I had ever had any interest in doing a triathlon, while I was still pregnant, I laughed in her face. I thought I would never do that, and besides I didn't have a bike. AND I didn't know how to swim! But then a couple months later I was talking to a new friend who had done a couple of triathlons and a few other races, and talking to her I started to think that I probably really could do that.
So I made my 2010 goal to do a sprint triathlon. The specific one I wanted to do was an all women race, but I missed the sign up day and then they sold out. So this lovely friend of mine, called me and said, I know you really wanted to do that sprint triathlon, but what about an olympic?? I have no clue what I was thinking, but after long deliberation and a few nausea spells, I said yes!
So I immediately started training. This was the end of January and the race was July 31st. In April I found out about a sprint tri that was being held at the rec center where I worked, it was pretty much half of what I was doing for the olympic and I was half way down in my training so I signed up for it to get a good gauge of how I was doing. That race was so awesome! I still look to it as a time where I was on top of the world! I seriously could do anything after that race! I beat al the goal times I had for my self, and I felt so good and strong! I ran a few other races that year, and unfortunately was not able to do the olympic, because my grandma died two days before the race. Instead of spending money to travel to the race, we spent it going to the funeral. So that was my first race! And it was amazing and I got hooked!

Me after the race with my bike :)

No comments: